Cameron and Kacey

Cameron and Kacey
My Beautiful Angels

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Relay For Life and TEAM TIGGER!



This weekend was the American Cancer Society's Relay For Life here in town. This is the sixth out of seven years that we have participated in this event, taking a year off after I had Kacey and had just had surgery on my tongue and neck for my second bout of cancer.

This is always an emotional event for me and my family and friends. It was even more emotional this year as I participated while ending my third week of chemotherapy treatments. It was also quite a shock as family and friends came from all over the country to support and walk with me. My brother-in-law Tim, my sister-in-law Erin, and my brother-in-law Jeff came from California for the weekend to walk with me. Uncle Jim (Chris' Mom's twin brother, who is also undergoing treatment for bladder cancer) came from New Hampshire with his son Jim to walk the Survivor Lap with me and hang out for the afternoon. My Aunt Sue and Uncle Fred came from Connecticut for the day. My Mom's cousin Carolyn and my cousins Courtney, Andrea, and Andrea's son Carver surprised us from Vermont. My Aunt Carol and Uncle Bud came from western Mass. to join us. My cousin Meredith was there with her beautiful smile as well as my best childhood friends Kathy and Michelle and their kids as well. My dear college friend Jay (aka Sheesh) arrived bright and early to help set up and stayed straight through until the end. My close friend Maura and her three kids arrived before the survivor lap to keep the party going. My sister's friend Holly (and my dear friend as well) and her husband Steve and their daughter Skyler came to walk for the afternoon. My in-laws were there for the entire day and night providing me with more love and support. And how I could I forget my Mom, Dad, sister Jen, brother-in-law Dan, and my wonderful nieces and nephew, Peyton, Emery and Cole who were all there from early morning until the wee hours of the next morning, holding me up and providing more love and support to keep me going.

My last "shout out" goes to my two beautiful, loving, caring, most amazing kids in the entire world, my sweet Cameron and Kacey. They held my hand (or my leg!) through it all, from start to finish, sometimes literally holding me up. They may be only 6 and 4 years old, and may not completely understand what the heck is going on in all of this, but they always know the right time for a hug or a kiss for Mommy....and that makes all this fighting worth it. I love you Cameron and Kacey! You are Mommy's inspirations and my angels and will get me through this no matter what because of you both!!

This is such an amazing event that I take great pride in participating in every year. This was a more difficult year, as I was just about able to make the Survivor Lap and Team Lap before I needed to sit down. Still not back to my full energy level yet after being knocked down last week. I was also honored to be asked to hold a torch to lead the Luminaria Lap at dusk to remember those that we have lost to this horrible disease and honor those that are still fighting.

I also decided that it was time to shave my head, as all of my hair is falling out and clogging the shower drain, not to mention getting all over everything. There was a salon at the Relay the was doing cuts for Survivors and Lauren shaved my head for me. As emotional as it was, it is much better and now there are only tiny pieces to fall out until I am smooth as a baby's bottom. I had such support in doing this that my son Cameron and my brother-in-law Tim also decided to shave their heads so I wouldn't be the only one. Such love! You know what they say, "Bald is beautiful!" We'll see if "they" are right. :)

I just want to thank ALL of my amazing family and friends who gave up their plans for the weekend to come and stand by my side in this remarkable event. Team Tigger raised so much money for cancer research and for the American Cancer Society. Thank you to those that donated to Team Tigger but could not be there with us this weekend. We greatly appreciate your donations that go to such a wonderful cause. I am so proud of my team and hope that very soon a cure for this horrible disease will be found so that no one, including myself or anyone else, will ever have to go through this hell again. As I have said before, I am stronger than this damn cancer and I will fight head on until I beat it again.....it's just nice to have love and support along side to help!

I love you all, Team Tigger!! Thanks for making me proud!!

7 comments:

  1. Kris, this was such wonderful...yet terribly emotional....day!!! Dad and I are so very proud of you!

    The memories of this day will be with us always!! Your strength is beyond belief!

    Love you so very much!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it bad that you are the sick one and I am the one crying my eyes out reading this update? You are so strong and such an inspiration!

    Glad to hear that you had such a great turn out for Team Tigger. So nice to have your family and friends with you for this special event. Very impressed with Tim and Cam for joining the bald is beautiful brigade. Love you!

    Jenn & Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kris,

    We were honored to have you as a luminaria torch bearer! I am glad that you were able to come and enjoy the day. Keep fighting!

    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kris, Had such a great time yesterday, so glad we were able to join you all. I just can't stop thinking of you and how proud I am to tell people to have you as a cousin. You are truly amazing. I will hope yesterdays memories with me for a life time. Look forward to joining you all next year - for the whole time. Keep on fighting, you kick butt girl!! Love you Kris. Courts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad we could all be a part of such a special day! It was neat to see so many people come out this year in support of you. You are an inspiration to us all. Keep moving forward and the next six weeks will be over before you know it! By the way, I think you have a very good looking shaved head! Hope you enjoyed the blizzard last night and got some rest. Dan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on a successful race, Kris.
    Your blog should be an inspiration to anyone
    and everyone no matter what or how difficult
    their problems may be. Keep fighting and your
    shaved head makes you more beautiful!

    Mrs. "S"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kris, Sorry I couldn't be there for the race, but know I was with you in spirit. As so many here have said, you are truly an inspiration! I love the picture of you and Cam and I cried as I read how he shaved his head too. Truly beautiful! As you tackle the weeks ahead, know that we are here for anything you need - just ask. You are so strong - keep fighting and kick cancer's butt! :) Love you....
    ~Kristin

    ReplyDelete