Cameron and Kacey

Cameron and Kacey
My Beautiful Angels

Tuesday, May 4, 2010


Well, yesterday went very well with the porta-cath insertion. Was at pre-op for 6am but didn't go into OR until almost 7:45am. Made Dad a little nervous, not to mention me. They did the procedure under local anesthesia with IV sedation. I did fall asleep for the first half of the surgery, but then conveniently woke up when they were having trouble threading the catheter into one of my veins that was apparently too narrow. So I listened and talked to the surgeon throughout the rest of the surgery! He found another vein that was much more accommodating and finished the procedure. Was a little nerve-wracking being awake, but kinda cool at the same time! And I was released from post-op and recovery quicker because I didn't have to "wake up" from the anesthesia!

Was a bit sore last night, but did pretty well and opted NOT to take the pain meds. I know, call me crazy, but I don't like the way they make me feel. So Dad spent most of the day with me and Mom came up once we were home. Jen made some yummy chicken, broccoli and ziti for us and Dan dropped it off on his way to work. It was delicious and even the kids ate it!! Dad went home to get some sleep and Mom spent the night. Kids did pretty well when they came home from school. Cam was really inquisitive and wanted to see the port and know what it was. Kacey, on the other hand, was glad Mommy was home and just wanted a hug! She had a rough night sleeping, and so we all did! But hopefully tonight will be be better.

So now, Mom and I sit at Dana Farber while my meds go thru the port. I met with the doctor this morning before I began my treatment and found out the PET scan that I had last week was clear except for the tumor in my neck. So that was good news that it had not spread to any other part of my body. My bloodwork was great as well. So the doc explained all the possible side effects again and had me sign the consent forms. And now I sit. They started hydration at about 9am, then gave me my anti-nausea medications next and then started the chemo drugs, one at a time. The third drug, 5FU (I LOVE that name!), will start through a pump here at Dana Farber and go home with me until Saturday. Tomorrow, Jen will bring me in at 8am for a couple of hours of hydration and will be back on Saturday for more hydration and to be disconnected from the pump and be "chemo-free" for two weeks.

This week will be the tough week for possible nausea effects and such. Next week, my blood counts will drop and fatigue will set in, but they keep telling me the third week is my "good" week and will hopefully feel much better. So I am nervous but anxious. Glad to be started and headed for a cure!!

Mom keeps teasing me that we have to get along and be patient with each other. She says this because we are soooo much alike and can fight like cats and dogs. But the truth is, I would not be here or feeling as good as I do, if it weren't for her. Yes, EVERYONE helps me and is there for me and LOVES me, but my Mom is my ROCK and will make sure I get through this, no matter what!
I love you, Mom!! And I hope you know that!!

Until another to all my family and friends!!!


  1. Sounds like things are off to a good start. Happy thoughts for you... xoxo

  2. Aw make me cry. Yep...even when we fight, we know we couldn't love each other more! We've had lots of tears lately because of this @#$%@#$% cancer....but today, we had several laughs...and that was so great! (even if you wouldn't share your comfy recliner chair with me!)

    Yes, Day ONE...onto Day TWO...and on and on! You can do doubt about it!

    I love you, Kris...and don't ever forget that!!!

    Love you...

  3. You both are making ME cry!! Kris, good news
    about the Pet scan. Your humor and strength
    come through loud and clear in your writing.
    Keep up that great attitude. I will keep up
    reading your blog and know that if I don't comment on each and every one of them,
    I am keeping you in my prayers and thoughts
    each and every day. Big hugs. Mrs."S"

  4. So glad things are moving along in a positive direction Kris. You will beat this once again. Love you lots. Tell Kac and Kam Bam I love them too. Courts

  5. I'm so glad to hear the Pet Scan is clean. One less thing to deal with. T-ball went great and we were feeling much better about ourself last night. We had hotdogs because of the ball game. It ended with a tie but we had more long hits than than they did. Cam had a tough night with bad dreams but he was ok this am, and he went off to school smiling. He can't wait to see you this afternoon. He learned about Amelia Erhart yesterday and if you're smart, you won't ask about her!!!! Have a good day and call if you need anything. Love, Grandma

  6. Been sending positive thoughts your way all weekend. Love ya... Mike, Nic, and the gang

  7. great news about the scan and bloodwork!!!! Now on to kill the nasty cells and then on to bigger and better things....I hope you will soon be Feelin' Good!!!! Love Mi