Cameron and Kacey

Cameron and Kacey
My Beautiful Angels

Thursday, September 16, 2010


I gained a pound this week!! Yippee!! I's the little things.

So I finished radiation two weeks ago. But it has been a long two weeks. I didn't get my energy back right away. Actually, last week, I felt kind of crappy. I was tired, had no energy and no appetite. When I went to see the doctor last Wednesday, my blood counts were all good and had continued to come up on their own. But I had been spiking a low-grade fever every night. I was actually convinced that my thermometer was stuck at 99.2 every night! My doctor was still convinced that the spot they saw in my neck on the CT scan when I was in the hospital was an abscess causing the fevers, so she put me on an antibiotic and scheduled me for an ultrasound on Thursday. She also got me squeezed in for hydration that day because I felt like crap. I think my poor nurse, Whitney, got in trouble for trying to get me in!

Thursday morning, Mom and I went back to Dana Farber for an ultrasound. It is not a painful procedure, as most of you know, but my neck was pretty sensitive because of the damage to my skin from radiation, so it was a bit tender. The "pocket" of fluid was still there and slightly larger than when I was in the hospital a few weeks ago. My doctor and the radiologist that read the report with her were still convinced that this could be an abscess and causing my fevers, so they scheduled me to have a needle aspiration at Brigham and Women's Hospital on Friday.

So Friday afternoon, we headed back to Boston again for yet more fun! I am finally done with every day treatments and had to go back three days in a row!! I was extremely anxious about having this ultrasound guided needle aspiration. Just something about them sticking a needle in your neck made my stomach turn. But like Mom kept telling me, think about everything that I have been through. This would be a fairly quick procedure and over before I knew it. Ugh.
The technician took me in to do a quick ultrasound and take some pictures before the radiologist and doctor came in to do the biopsy. After the tech left, the radiologist came in and said she wanted to take a look. She looked at the "pocket" under ultrasound and said that it was not an abscess and didn't know why my doctor wanted a needle stuck in it. So she left again to call my doctor.

My doc decided she just wanted to know what the fluid was, so she asked them to do the biopsy anyway. So they "numbed" my neck some by sticking me with a needle containing a Novocaine like substance. Then stuck a fine needle in to withdraw some of the fluid or tissue from this "pocket". Before I knew it, it was completely drained! And it was so small, that they only got a 1/2cc of fluid out of it before it disappeared! There was not enough to send to pathology and to send for cultures to see if it was an infection, so because they didn't see any cells, they sent it for cultures.

I finally began to get my appetite back this weekend. I went down and stayed at Mom and Dad's because the kids were at the Cape. I finally started to eat and actually feel hungry. I even took a ride with them and the Lamontagne's to Providence to see the WaterFires!

I went back to the doctor on Wednesday of this week to have my labs drawn and check in. She was thrilled that I was feeling better, had more energy and had an appetite. She was also very happy that I had gained some weight!! My biopsy came back negative, so there is no infection. Still not sure where the fevers were coming from, but I haven't had one since I have been on the antibiotics. I finish that on Sunday, so we'll see what happens after that. I am still convinced that it is my sinuses since they are clogged up on every scan I have had.

So now I get two weeks off!! I don't have to go back until Sept. 29th! Yippee!! What will I do with all of my time!?!? EAT!!! Got to take both kids to school today and will pick them both up later. It is so nice to be home and be able to do the "Mommy" thing. I am usually at work, so that is one positive of being home! I love seeing their big smiles at the end of the day!

They scheduled me for another ultrasound in a month to check that "pocket" again. I also have my final PET scan to check my neck on Nov. 24th. I pray all is clear and I can go back to work and start to feel normal again. They say not to be surprised if I may need some minor surgery to "clean up" the remains, but I am praying it is all gone and all of those wonderful chemo drugs and radiation did the trick.

Hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful weather!!
Although I am sad to see summer go because I feel like I missed most of it, I absolutely LOVE the Fall and am looking forward to apple picking, apple pies, sweatshirts and football!!
Love to all!!


  1. You are one amazing cookie!! All that you have been through....damn girl! I continue to be amazed by your positive attitude and outlook through all of this...and I will pray everyday that your scan in Nov is CLEAR!!!! Love you so very much, siser!! Love, Jen xoxoxoxox

  2. Luke 5:12-13
    I hope and pray that you are completly healed!
    In Jesus Name!!!